About Me

November 23, 2020

Challenge: Day 23.


The challenge for today: "favorite childhood book."
I had a whole series. The Little House collection by
Laura Ingalls Wilder. These books were gifted to
me when I was about 8 years old and I devoured
them, reading them over and over again. I think I
really became attached because we moved so often
and live in the Prairies, though we are in Canada!
I so loved the series when it came out on tv as well.


I intended to keep my set for my children but we
had a house fire when they were babies and it
was one thing that did not survive. Years later,
I found the collection again but updated covers
and in a really pretty box. My kids also read all
of them and it was fun to compare how our
"Long Winters" were when I was young and
the kids were little. Even now, in the middle
of this Pandemic, I'm often thinking about how
they coped with illness, weather and isolation.
Makes for a good read and truly a reminder
of where we came from and where we're going.

What was your favorite childhood book?

~ Chy

6 comments:

Debi said...

I loved those books too. My third grade teacher, Mrs. Burke, introduced us to them. She read them to us for the last thirty minutes of every day. She gave us drawing paper and we were allowed to draw while she read to us. It is one of my fondest elementary school memories.

At Home In New Zealand said...

I've never come across these books but I did enjoy the TV series, although it is so many years ago that I have forgotten most of it now. Sometimes I wish they would repeat some of these old favourites on TV.

Diana said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I wrote about the exact same books for the challenge!!!! My fifth grade teacher read a couple to us in class and I was hooked! I have always loved everything Laura wrote and have so many of her writings and books and the tv series cds. Be blessed and stay well!

Lorrie said...

I loved those books, too, and Nancy Drew. Wonderful tales that I read over and over.

Betsy said...

I wrote about the Little House books for the challenge also! I had the entire set and have now given them to my granddaughter and she is reading them. They are in a blue box and show lots of wear because I read them many times.
Blessings,
Betsy
http://betsy-thesimeplelifeofaqueen.blogspot.com

Granny Marigold said...

My girls loved those books too. The boys..not so much.
I remember reading and loving a book called The 5 Little Peppers and how they grew. I was maybe 10 or 11. I tried to read it as an adult and couldn't think what I would have liked about it.