March 5, 2021
March 4, 2021
Following along with Joyce at From This Side of The Pond and Debi from Barefoot Mom for this week's edition of "Hodge Podge" that I've been meaning to join in on each week and then forget. Will you join in too on this fine day?
1. Is March coming in like a lion where you live? Asian, Simba, Elsa, The Cowardly Lion .... your favorite "famous" lion? Like a sweet little lamb with amazing warm air, melting snow (what little we did get) and bright sunny days.
2. In what way do you "march to the beat of your own drum?" Absolutely, from day one! Growing up in a very hippy environment and taking those in to my own life as an adult, I've never quite "fit in" with the main stream all around me. But I make it work. And actually often hear "I wish I could be as authentic as you, Chy!" I really don't care what others think ~ it is my life and I'm doing it in my way.
3. What item that you don't have already, would you most like to own? Any chance of that happening soon? I would personally love a small baby grand piano. We have my gramma's old piano but can you imagine a sweet grand sitting in the turret in the sunshine? With family pictures on top? I can! Not now but maybe one day down the road.
4. March is National Flour Month .... are you a baker? Cookies ~ cakes ~ or pies .... your favorite sweet treat to bake? What's the last non~sweet thing you made that called for flour? I love to bake but don't have much time to fit it in, except for special events. When I was home with our kids, I baked a lot, even made our own bread. Now it's tricky to find those extra moments. The last thing I made with flour was all our Christmas baking. Mmmm ....
5. There are 31 days in the month of March .... where were you and what were you doing when you were 31? If you haven't hit that milestone yet, then tell us where you were and what you were doing 31 months ago? August 4, 2018 if math is not your thing .... When I was 31, we had been married for almost years; we had 4 amazing children ages 8, 6, 4 and a newborn. We were living in the hamlet we moved too 4 years before. We were 2 years into the house we ended up living in for 24 years before we built out here in the big woods. And I was happily at home with my littles, enjoying our long days and feeling happy to be a full time mama. I was an expert at making a tight budget work. And I was helping others with birthing and nursing babies as much as possible. A beautiful time in our lives. Just for fun, here is my post for 31 months ago on August 4, 2018. It was a stormy day, one of many that Summer. So much lightening and thunder. Hope this Summer is "quieter!"
6. Insert your own random thought here. Loving life today. The sun is out, the air is warm, the melting continues and we've had a great work day. I'm excited to attend a virtual workshop tonight that is being put on by our local library for free (I scored a spot!) and the host is our landscape artist Dora. Can't wait. She's so much fun. I know I will learn a lot. Hope your day has been fine, you are well and safe.
March 1, 2021
February 28, 2021
What I'm wearing .... comfy warm pants, a soft gold~brown color, with my big lavender sweater, lavender socks, my teal cozy slippers and a fresh braid in my hair.
What I'm reading .... finished "Allegedly" and will return it to the library tomorrow. I've got a few Country Living magazines that I skimmed through when I bought them but haven't really sat down to read through, as well as my new English Home. A pot of tea and a cozy spot in the living room sounds about right to catch up on my Brit magazines.
What's happening in my kitchen .... it's quite now but was busy today making our Sunday Dinner. We got some groceries yesterday so I cleaned out the fridge, moved things around in the cupboards and tidied up the pantry. I do this each week but it amazes me how so many adults can leave things out of place after I've carefully orchestrated where everything should fit. Drives me crazy .... I'll just leave this comment here. I'm sure some of you can relate!
What's outside my window .... it snowed a bit this morning and more this afternoon. Sunny, then cloudy, then sunny. The weather can't decide what it wants to do.
What I'm thankful for .... always my family, our little cottage, my work and friends. And our health. So far, so good.
What I'm smelling .... laundry soap smell drifting from the laundry room. I love the smell of fresh laundry.
What I'm hearing .... the tv and talking. No hockey tonight though. Just some good shows we love to watch.
What I'm crafting .... working on the walls in the mini bakery. Almost done this mini but fun project.
What's on my mind .... anything and everything. It never stops! I wish it would ~ one day maybe.
Words to live by .... quote above. Love this one but not sure who wrote it so I can't reference it. It speaks to me on so many levels. Beautiful and inspiring words.
Have an amazing week!
February 27, 2021
February 26, 2021
February 25, 2021
February 21, 2021
What I'm wearing .... my light grey snowflake leggings, matching socks and my purple Disney long henley, with two long braids in my hair. Cozy and warm while we wait for the sun to come out and the air to warm up so we can go skating all afternoon. Supposed to be super warm.
What I'm reading .... "Allegedly" by Tiffany Jackson. I'm on the last chapter. Great read! Back to the library tomorrow.
What's happening in my kitchen .... nothing yet as we do Intermittent Fasting and don't eat until noon. Dh is heading out to the freezer to see what he can create for Sunday dinner. I'm planning on having roasted chicken mixed in to a lovely bowl of cole slaw for my lunch. A favorite!
What's outside my window .... cloudy skies and cool air.
What I'm thankful for .... everything. Blissfully content.
What I'm smelling .... my lavender cedar candle. Mmmm!
What I'm hearing .... "Coronation Street" is on the tv. We watch it through the week as it's on each night but sometimes I like to rewatch on the weekend when it replays on Sunday mornings. We are a noisy house and it's easy to miss a line or two, or a whole scene. Love that CBC replays so if we do miss, we can catch up easily. It's a show you don't want to miss anything for sure. We also just finished listened to our grandson's radio show that debuted this morning called "Breakfast with Beckett." We have done some research and believe he is the youngest radio host in Canada. At 10 years old, this is quite the achievement. His first show went well and he a lot of listeners. Looking forward to seeing where this takes him. The kid has got guts.
What I'm crafting .... more work on the mini bakery this week. I did receive some packages in the mail with little items for this project but also for the dollhouse I'm still working on. I had a very frustrating interaction with a supplier this week but I've not used before and won't be in the future. Customer service is definitely not their strength. I wanted to order 20 windows. Not a cheap order. I was informed that the windows were out of stock. No worries. I asked if they could let me know when they would get more. They said they could order them for me BUT the price would increase from $8.98 per window to $15.98 each. Um, excuse me? So I said I would be happy to wait rather than do a special order at the increased price. To which the reply was "that is the regular price" and then I said "but your website says" and she then replied "that's the old price .... I don't know how to update the website." She sent me a note so nice email about being too picky and having a low budget and I haven't written back. And likely won't. I don't need to argue with anyone. Just going by the facts. So I'm on the hunt for windows from other suppliers. Too bad as this was a good sized order (I had other items marked as well) and it was Canadian, meaning I wouldn't have to worry about having to potentially pay important fees from other countries. Lots of companies out there so I'll continue my search.
What's on my mind .... work for this week. We have new residents at our hospice and as exciting as this is for all of us, it's also heartbreaking. I'm doing lots of good self care today, including skating, writing and working on my mini. I'll be ready for work tomorrow and ready to go.
Words to live by ....
February 20, 2021
February 19, 2021
February 15, 2021
February 14, 2021
What I'm wearing .... my black leggings with flowers on them, a long sleeved hoodie in a shade of pink that matches the flowers on my leggings, my long green hooded sweater (down to my knees ~ so cozy), thick wool socks and my comfy slippers. No make up. No jewellry. Hair in a long braid.
What I'm reading .... "Allegedly" by Tiffany Jackson. It's truly very good so far. I should be done by later tonight. Then it's back to the very large book pile to see what's next.
What's happening in my kitchen .... chicken is defrosting for our special Valentine's Dinner tonight, fresh baked cookies are on a pretty plate and scrumptious cupcakes our dd bought for all of us tonight are tucked away on the dining room table so we stop drooling over them!
What's outside my window .... sun and sparkly snow. We had hoped to go skating on the rink as the temperature is a bit warmer today BUT the wind has picked up quite a bit so the wind chill has made it way too cold to venture out at the moment. Exposed skin will freeze in a minute. Yikes!
What I'm thankful for .... our warm, cozy cottage that is keeping us safe and sound during this crazy cold. Spring is in 34 more days ~ grateful Winter, as mild as it's been until this past week, is almost done. My healthy family. Life.
What I'm smelling .... the cookies! I just had one. Mmmm!!
What I'm hearing .... "The West Wing" on tv, dh is listening to our new host on our radio station (he has ear buds in but I can hear a bit), dgs talking to dd upstairs about video games, and the wind howling around the cottage.
What I'm crafting .... today, I set up dollhouse furniture in our new clock. Dh showed the girls and called it the "apartment clock." Three floors of living ~ a rooftop deck, a kitchen and a formal living room with a fireplace. I promised to take pictures for the previous owners. Will take those soon.
What's on my mind .... my mom's care home has had much better numbers this week. And all residents and all staff have received their second dose of the vaccine as of February 5th. We are more hopeful than last week. But we're also all being super cautious too. It's not over but it's definitely better and we're holding on to this good news.
Words to live by .... "The person who stays with you no matter what, don't let them go. Because they are a rare find that's true." ~ Unknown.