About Me

June 25, 2018

To Blog or Not to Blog?


I've read quite a few blogs recently, within the last week or so, questioning if they should continue to blog. Personally, I do understand the frustration. Lately I'm not been as sure if blogging is the best tool right now for me to share our life. Is anyone reading? I've not had many comments at all in the last few months but I know that I don't blog every single day. I'm trying to blog more often but maybe need to step it up a bit. If I blogged every day, would you read? Would you comment? Would you share your life with me? 

Maybe my readers are bored. Maybe their taste is different than mine - English Country Cottage, Craftsman, Victorian, Eclectic isn't every one's cup of tea. Maybe I write too short. Or too long. Maybe I'm not interesting enough. Maybe my occasional reference to the grief we carry as bereaved parents is too much. Is my blog too dark? Too light? The new colors I chose are maybe not quite right? The spacing I'm working on is maybe too off? 

What is it that attracts you to certain blogs? Or turns you off from others? 

Truthfully, I love to tell stories, to share bits and pieces of daily life. Maybe that's not what blog readers are looking for. I choose blogs that do this, but there does seem to be a shift. I honor that many bloggers are able to carve out a living by blogging and some have ads on their blogs. Some have a process of "clicking" in to their post, generating funds. Mine is simple and with no ties to any other entity but my own thoughts, ideas, words, pictures and questions to inspire or debate. 

I'd love to know your thoughts. Please post and share. Or send an email. It will help me decide whether I should continue to blog or not to blog. 

Love to you all on this stormy Monday!

14 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

This is how it is for me: I usually will read your blog every few days and do a catch-up. I know I don't comment much. I think I assumed you were blogging, as many do, for friends and relatives to keep in contact.

I hope you'll keep on blogging. Maybe this post will encourage people to comment more. I know I have friends who read my blog but don't leave comments because they "don't know what to say".

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I've seen the blogging trend slow down over the last few years, seems like everyone is moving to Instagram, more photos and fewer words.
I like the interaction of blogging, however summertime is a busy season for most people, and so I tend to read and not comment, nearly as much as I would in winter.
I love your blog, and interesting stories, please continue to do so.
Hugs,
~Jo

Anne in the kitchen said...

I read you and comment occasionally, but iit depends on which device I read on whether I comment or not. If is read on my phone or Ipad . My Ipad is a first generation model and is difficult to type on, and my phone keypad is too small for me to comment more than one word (small keypad + arthritis just doesn't work well)

Angela said...

I love your blog and do hope that it continues. I have followed for some time now but I guess you could say I am one of those silent followers. I need to comment more and let the bloggers I follow know that they are appreciated. :)

Chy said...

Thanks Granny! I am definitely writing for our family, for a record of life at this time and will likely to continue to do so. I can see from stats that I have a very healthy and active readership, so I will need to keep that in mind as well. So happy to have found your blog and I always love your comments! X Chy

Chy said...

Jo, your blog inspires me and I'm so glad you're continuing as well. Thank you! X Chy

Chy said...

Thank you Anne for commenting. I sometimes read blogs on my phone and know it's hard to comment as well. But I know you're there! X Chy

Chy said...

Welcome Angela! I'm glad you found my blog and have continued to read. Lovely to meet you! X Chy

Kim said...

I enjoy reading your blog. I have to confess I don't comment often, because I am sometimes on my phone, reading in the car while I am waiting for kids and it's not easy to do that. I favor blogs more than Instagram. I'm a writer and a reader...I enjoy the story aspect, the words. As long as people show up, I will stick around and write. I hope you continue, but blogging is a lot of work, so you really have to enjoy it yourself or it can become a grind. Been there!! ;)

Mereknits said...

Chy,

I think summer is a tough time to blog as so many people are outside. Still blogging is tough as it isn't instantaneous like Instagram. I am new to Instagram and I can tell you already that it isn't as nice as blogging, so many photos of a project or a meal with nothing else. I find it hard to have a relationship over there. I will post but again just like my blog not that often as life is busy. Blog for you, don't worry about comments or content. Your blog is about you and what you like.

Best wishes,
Meredith

Chy said...

Thanks Kim. I love your comments today. I personally really enjoying blogging but of course want my readers to enjoy what I share, hence my questions. I won't stop!! X Chy

Chy said...

Meredith, as always, great words of wisdom! Thank you for sharing. X Chy

debbie said...

I've been reading your blog for many years, but I'm a silent reader

Chy said...

Welcome Debbie! I'm happy to see you here. X Chy