About Me

June 30, 2018

A Day in the Life ....

I have one of those crazy jobs that make life, on a daily basis, very interesting and definitely never boring. Actually, to tell the truth, I have 2 contracts. My full time job at our local hospice and my part time job at the charity we created as a family over 22 years ago. With the first position, I am the manager of the family bereavement programs ~ we provide counselling and groups to families, including children, teens and parents, as well as education and support to the community at large. My second position is the Executive Director for our charity. Prior to all of this, I was home with our children for just over 20 years. My position at our charity started in a voluntary capacity and eventually turned in to a paid contract. The hospice position is just 14 years old for me, and started out part time, but became full time after a few years and that is when dh came home (we still had kids at home who were homeschooling) so that I could concentrate on that position, to grow it to what it is today. I will forever be grateful for his dedication to our family and though he went back to work once our youngest was 18, he is still a large part of our home life and to this day, still makes dinner on a daily basis. Alright, enough of the mushiness. On with my post:


6:50 a.m.    
Dh wakes me up to say goodbye. I go back to sleep for a while. Way too early for me!

7:30 a.m.    
Up to shower, dress, make the bed, do my face, do my hair, gather my backpack.

8:00 a.m.    
In the car to drive dd to her job and then head to the Community Centre for a meeting.

8:30 a.m.    
Dd at work, car parked and I'm registered and having a tea at my table with others.

9:00 a.m.    
The Community Hub Meeting begins and continues until 12 noon. Loved every moment!

12:00 p.m.  
I drive to Hospice in the Big City. Eat my yogurt covered raisins, drink water on the way.

12:30 p.m.  
At Hospice, I meet with a colleague, then do some case notes while I wait for a family.

1:00 p.m.    
Family arrives and we have a one hour counselling session with art and journals.

2:00 p.m.    
More case notes, emails, phone messages and impromptu meetings with colleagues.

3:30 p.m.    
I water my plant before gathering my backpack to head to another community meeting.

4:00 p.m.    
Meeting at a local funeral home for an event will all be participating in this August.

6:00 p.m.    
Back in my car and call dh to let him know I'm on my way. This is a late night for us.

6:30 p.m.    
Home for dinner and Coronation St. I weeded, watered the veggie patch, folded laundry.

10:30 p.m.  
We head to bed to read for a bit. I can't keep my eyes open and soon fall sound asleep.

Most days, I pop into our Centre when I drop dd off to check voice mails, pick up the post and to see if my staff needs anything. Some days, I also have to drive our little guy in to his school. Then I either head to Hospice, to any schools I'm visiting or home if it's a day to work from home or a day off. If it's a work day, I usually leave the Hospice or the schools by 3 to head back to the Centre. Many days I have counselling or errands or case notes or program planning. Either I or dh will then drive dd home with us, stopping for groceries or gas as needed. Evenings are full of gardening, tidying, laundry, dishes, sweeping, plant care, art studio work, writing or a nap, if I'm super tired! I'm so glad and so lucky that thankfully one item not on my list is to make dinner each night. Dh loves to cook and I have no issue with his commitment to this task. After a busy day, if it was just me, I'd likely munch on a bowl of cereal. Cooking after a busy day is not in my ability at this time in my life.

So there you have it, my day in the life ....

4 comments:

Mereknits said...

Your life sounds packed full but so rewarding. I get those busy days, I usually have four in a row for work, and Friday is catch up day for me. Have a wonderful weekend.

Granny Marigold said...

You work hard and get so much done. Hopefully now that the little guy is on summer break life will slow down a wee bit.

Chy said...

It's definitely full Meredith! But I love most of it. Some days I get tired or wish I could slow it down. I'd like to have more time to make another quilt or learn to crochet. In time! Your days are very busy too. I love reading about all you do! X Chy

Chy said...

Granny, it will be a slower pace over the Summer, though any free time will go to landscaping. We want to get as much of that done as we can before the snow comes back! X Chy