About Me

December 5, 2021

The Story of my Birthday Cake.




My birthday fell on a Tuesday this year, in a very busy week that would have meant very little time to actually honor the day that evening. So we planned to celebrate today. However, dh still wanted me to at least have a small cake that night so they could still sing me "Happy Birthday." And I agreed. We spent some time in the bakery trying to figure out which cake would be just the right size. I kept coming back to this sweet Yule Log. The chocolate icing just looked so scrumptious. So in our cart it went. I have a ton of food allergies but the label said "chocolate yule log" and we've bought a million chocolate cupcakes from this same bakery, so I never even thought to look for a label ingredient. Home we went, made an amazing dinner and then it was time for cake! My dear family placed a candle, sang to me and then it was time to cut in to the cake. And then we discovered a big issue .... did you know that Yule Logs are made from Black Forest Cake? We did not know this, having never had a YL. What is the issue you ask? I'm highly allergic to cherries, a deadly allergy to be fair. So, at the end of the day, everyone enjoyed my cake, I had a plate of chocolate icing and a big ice cream that I can eat will arrive this afternoon. So yummy!

I called the bakery the next morning to ask why the label said "chocolate cake" when in fact it was "black forest cake" and they said "didn't you read the label for the ingredients" to which I replied "there was no label with ingredients, just the description." She said she'd ask and call me right back. When she called back, she said there was no ingredient list because it's made on site and most people would just ask the bakers the ingredients. I told her that we've bought cakes and cupcakes for years without issue. I was surprised and pleased when she said she'd take it back to the bakery manager to see if they can make labels now. And offered me a refund. I told her it was fine as my family did enjoy the cake, I just didn't get any on my special day! It was fine as I wasn't super hungry that day anyway and am looking forward to my ice cream cake today. I can't wait!

So that's the story of my birthday cake. Hope your birthday cake experience is much better than mine was this year!

~ Chy

2 comments:

happyone said...

So sorry about your cake. Nice that the bakery apologized and now will label ingredients for other!
Back in May when it was my birthday my husband made my cake. 4 layer chocolate cake with real whipped cream icing. It was delicious!! :)

Chy said...

It was lovely that they took my comments seriously. Your cake does sound like it would have been amazing!

X Chy