About Me

June 25, 2013

Off to a Meeting.


We have had quite the revolving door at our organization the last 4 years. I'm not sure exactly why people come & go so quickly but as a Human Services non-profit charity, it's common for staff to move around a lot. I hate it personally. I feel it's not fair to our clients, who become close to us due to the nature of the work we do. They get close, then the staff member leaves. And they have to start a new relationship all over again. I wish staff would commit to being here, sticking it out when it's rough & rising above the challenges. 

Maybe I'm the odd guy out. 

I've been here for 9 years, the longest employee they've ever had. At our recent Strategic Plan Workshop with staff, board members & volunteers, they posed the lingering question to me "why are you still here when everyone else leaves us?" I gave them my thoughts & the rest of the day was thanked by the board members & the volunteers who seemed in awe of my ability to stay. I love my program too much to leave but it gave me a lot to think about. 

Today, our newest staff member has requested a meeting with me. I'm the odd ball of the group, the hippy, the crunchy granola mama. Everyone tries to understand me. Not sure they ever get it. But I'm always a curiosity at the beginning. This is getting old, the meeting to figure me out, but hey, I'll play along. She seems lovely. I'm not investing a big amount into any relationship just yet.

Maybe this new staff member will be the one to stick around! Fingers crossed!

Do you make commitments & ride out the rough times or do you bolt at the first sign of a less than perfect scenario?

No comments: