About Me

July 20, 2020

Purple Vetch.


We live next door to the original owner
of all the land in our little subdivision.


He's been a wealth of information for
our family. Always living in town has
meant everything we've had to do out
here has been a huge learning curve.
I have appreciated his wisdom but on
a few occasions we have not agreed.
One example is naming noxious weeds
vs. real plants. Three years ago, he told
me all our Daisies were the ones on the
"list" and would have to be eradicated
or the County would heavily fine us.
So I started to pull them up, then went
on the web and discovered our Daisies
are actually just fine. I left the rest and
to this day, he has not mentioned them
again. Last year, he tried to tell me the
sweet and viney purple plant above was
Creeping Bellflower. Once again, I did
a quick check on the web, then took
pictures to our local greenhouse, who
confirmed my own hunch that it was not
Creeping Bellflower but Purple Vetch.
Some people do truly pull it out as it is a
very big spreader but out here, we love
the vibrant color and how it's added to our
small garden spaces. It looks so pretty in
the meadows too, blowing in the wind.
Reminds me of the Bluebells common
in Great Britain. We won't be pulling it
out but I'm sure he'll remind me soon.


For now, we'll let the Purple Vetch continue to grow
wildly and enjoy it's beauty as a natural flower
in the big woods. I haven checked and none of it
has spread to his lawn, so he should be just fine.
Other than this one issue, we all get along with
him without any concerns and are happy to have
such great neighbors! Very handy when a tree falls
in the stormy wind or the snow needs to be pushed
off the big road. Neighbors out here have to get
along so we can all help each other as needed.

Do you have great neighbors?
Are you happy where you live?

~ Chy

4 comments:

Debi said...

Our neighborhood is strange... everyone mostly keeps to themselves. One of our next door neighbors is "Farmer Mike". He has a very large garden, shares tips and produce with us. We even went in halves on a truckload of new garden soil this year. He and his wife, Debbie are very friendly, and like us, they have a passel of grandkids who keep them busy. They are great neighbors.

Chy said...

I'm glad you have great neighbors in Mike and Debbie. We have become a "family cohort" with one of our neighbors down the lane, a suggestion from our Chief Medical Officer in the Province. The idea is that we can gather together, when we are all well, check on each other, help out, etc. It was a natural fit and I feel like we have a few extra grands as they have young kids! Our last neighborhood in town was lovely too but over the last few years, we noticed the new residents were more prone to pull in to their garage and we've never see them. I love what we have now!

Take care Debi!

X Chy

Mereknits said...

I think the fact he is helpful and a good neighbor out weighs his inaccuracies with plants. Maybe he needs a gardening refresher course. Stay safe and keep that purple flower growing, it is wonderful.

Chy said...

He's a great guy with lots of knowledge. He sometimes shares and I take it as it comes but then it never comes up again, like the daisies! I do appreciate his knowledge base for sure. It's helped us out a lot around here!

Hope your weekend goes well Meredith!

X Chy