About Me

January 22, 2021

Snow Squall.





After several months of really lovely, warm, hardly any snow kind of weather, we were suddenly hit with a vicious storm the other night. We were outside just an hour before it started. There wasn't any warning, even on the weather channel. When it hit, it was soooo scary! We had intense wind, rain, thunder, lightening and the stickiest snow I've ever seen. Our power went out just after 7:30 pm and finally came back on close to midnight. I didn't sleep the rest of the night and today, I'm still over tired. Day off today, though I've been working like crazy to keep myself from falling asleep half way thru the day. We were told part way that we were in the middle of a "snow squall" ~ an intense Winter storm. Never had this happen before and I truly hope to never experience another one. It sounded like a tornado outside. We've had a few of those over the years. 

We don't seem to have endured any damage to the house or our land. I can see a couple of trees deep in the forest that look like they may topple over at some point, but there is no danger. We've heard lots of stories of trucks turning over on the highway, shingles ripped off roofs, power lines coming down and light posts crashing to the ground. Counting ourselves lucky today. I hate storms! Especially windy ones!!

Hope you are well and enjoying this calm afternoon. 

~ Chy

6 comments:

Debi said...

We are expecting a bitter cold front to go through tonight and to last the weekend. We are also expecting snow squalls and high winds. Not looking forward to it but we have the porch loaded with wood so we will be warm and toasty.

Chy said...

I hope your wind doesn't get as bad as this was! Even the old timers here were commenting that they had never heard of a snow squall!

Stay warm and cozy!

X Chy

Lorrie said...

Oh my, that sounds like quite the storm. Snow squall is a new term for me, too. We are expecting a cold front to move in this weekend, and I must say, I'm hoping for some lovely snow, but that's unlikely on the South Island.

Chy said...

Lorrie, I was just talking to someone in the Maritimes and they mentioned they are expecting some nasty weather this weekend too. We have cold coming in but no snow on the forecast. Everyone is talking about how cold it's going to get (-14 to -16) and I keep thinking "but it's not -38!!" A week from now, we'll be back to warmer temperatures again. Hope your weekend goes well. Stay warm!

X Chy

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow, that sounds like quite a storm. We haven't had much snow here this winter and we need snow for the summer water supply. Supposed to get a good snow storm tonight and tomorrow, so that will be good. Glad you were safe and didn't have any damage from the storm.

Chy said...

I hope Deb that if you do get some snow tonight, there is no storm attached to it!

X Chy