About Me

January 9, 2021

Family Dinners.


We grew up visiting immediate family on Sundays
at our weekly Family Dinners. I loved coming in to
to a noisy, warm house, with the smell of baking and
dinner waiting for us. Laughter reined. Home. Love.


Then we moved away when I was 12 years old
and all of that stopped. We had a nice dining
room but no family to come over. Our journey
had taken us to a whole province away and it
was too far to travel just for dinner. No dinners,
no family visits. Two years later, we moved
into a new house we had built and I asked my
mom why we even bothered with a dining
room if it was never going to get used. And
from that point on, even though it was just
us, she made a really lovely Sunday dinner.
I was in heaven, especially when they would
invite friends and neighbors over. It was truly
my favorite time each week. Then we married.
My dh had not grown up with weekly Family
Dinners but he did have a large family that
would get together so the idea of a set day
and time was something he was open to. We
started having our respective family's over
and this grew in to tradition. Over the years,
we have had a number of deaths, and many
moves that took family members to other
parts of Canada. Our family seems smaller
due to age and distance but we still manage
to find ways to gather when we all can. I do
really miss weekly Family Dinners. We have
made a true effort to use our dining room as
much as we can. A calm but fun filled space!

~ Chy

6 comments:

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

So many good memories Chy - thank you for bringing memories to the surface today.
Hugs
Joy

Betsy said...

We always had Sunday dinner at my in-laws from the time we started dating until we moved halfway across the country from Nebraska to Washington. I missed the dinners but I know it was really hard on our kids to leave it all behind.
Blessings,
Betsy

elizabeth said...

I totally understand this and miss family dinners too; we also miss having friends over; so many have left the area where we live!

Chy said...

You're most welcome Joy!

X Chy

Chy said...

It is hard when we move away from family Betsy. Creating new memories has helped us for sure!

X Chy

Chy said...

I hope you will find ways to create dinners with new friends once Covid is all done Elizabeth. If I lived close to you, you'd be on my guest list here!

X Chy