About Me

January 23, 2021

My New Abode.







I have worked for our local hospice for over 16 years, first on a very part time contract one evening per week, and one full day per week. We still had a 12 year old at home at the time who was homeschooling, and putting her in after school care and NOT being there for her activities wasn't something I was willing to do at that time in her young life, especially when all her siblings had me at home before her. A few years later, they offered me full time, which I then chose as my dh was willing to work from home at that point. We made it work well and I've always felt so honored to work in this environment. I can't imagine any other job ever.

For a number of years, we were housed on our same site but in a very ancient nun's covent. Because we had not at that time established a residential hospice, our programs and our admin fit nicely in this space. Over time, the building that we owned became a large expense in trying to keep it functioning well. I had the tiniest classroom, our offices were crowded, it was cold in the Winter and hot in the Summer. When our new Ed joined us over 3 years ago, the ball started to really roll to get a new building in place and the residential piece open. As she had done this in her past work with another hospice down east, it was a natural fit to hire her to get us to where we are today. In our new building, on the same site, unpacking boxes and getting ready to welcome our first resident on site, as early as next week.

We moved our about 18 months ago, set up in a temporary location and worked away, while a construction crew took down our old building and then miraculously put up the structure we now occupy. I have not one but two huge classrooms, with built in cupboards, counter, even sinks! Two huge counselling rooms with comfy couches, cozy armchairs and beautiful cabinets to store books, toys and warm blankets. My parents group and other adult groups can choose to meet in the education room, our conference room, the private dining room or the day program room. We have storage that looks so empty right now because it's so big and we did such a great job of purging prior to moving in. And we have a fully functioning, amazing kitchen (complete with a Red Seal chef), a community dining room, communal and private washrooms, a laundry room, a boiler room, a great room with a piano and a fireplace, several family spaces (one with pullout couches for sleepovers), a family shower room, lots of bright admin offices on the second floor, and 12 beautifully appointed resident suites. Each suite has it's own washroom, desk, fireplace, tv, pull out couch, small fridge, storage and lovely shelves to display personal items, and the most amazing bed that starts out as a single but expands so family members can cuddle together with their loved ones as they actively work towards their last days on Earth. We are the first free standing, community based, family focused hospice in the region and I am beyond proud to continue to be involved. I am now the Director of the Grief Support Programs and we've added Spiritual Care in my portfolio. I have a small team of counsellors and a larger team of trained volunteers. My staff will grow in time as the hospice begins to fill and the needs of our residents and their family members are expressed. I'm truly so excited for our future as we grow.

I moved in to my sweet office a few weeks ago. I haven't had a lot of time yet to decorate it. But have lots of ideas and have started gathering things I'd like to take in to dress it up a bit. First up, artwork and then I'd like to add either an armoire or detailed bookcase. A throw on the chair, a footstool perhaps, and plants .... so many plants would grow amazing in this space. I have two windows and one looks out over the church next door. But the second one, along the blue wall, looks out over the neighbors behind us. And one, unfortunately appears to be a home with many people and a lot of junk in their yard. Not a pretty sight. I'll have to work on how to ensure I don't need to look at at that sight!

What do you think of my new office?
How would you decorate this space?

~ Chy

6 comments:

Lorrie said...

What a lovely new space for you to work in. You will make it beautiful and personal with your own touches. Plants are always lovely, I think.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Looks like a lovely place to work and the work you do is very important. Plants would be good with those big windows. Enjoy getting it just right!

Granny Marigold said...

Your new place looks so roomy and I have no doubt you'll have it looking homey and comfortable in no time. You have every reason to be proud of what has been accomplished.

Betsy said...

You have a very beautiful office and I know thtat you will make it beautiful. Plants would make it very homey, as will artwork and the throw you mentioned. I have the utmost respect for the people who work with hospice. Our family has "unfortunately" needed hospice for several family members over the years and the support we received was wonderful. Thank you for the job you do and congratulations on such a beutiful place to work.
Blessings,
Betsy

Mereknits said...

So glad you have a wonderful new building to meet all of your needs. Your office is wonderful. Enjoy.

Debi said...

What a beautiful new space! I'm sure you will have a ball making it comfortable and welcoming.
Have a great week!