About Me

October 16, 2020

Blogtober: Day 16.



All week long we've been hearing that Friday will be a long day of heavy snow and strong winds ~ a blizzard and our first for the Winter. We made sure we had a good stock of groceries. The cars are filled with gas. Bills are all paid. Outdoor veranda and deck furniture tucked away for the year. The dirt in the veggie patch turned over and bags of new dirt poured on top. The last bit of the mulch was spread on the flower beds. And the roses and hydrangea's were covered up. I put the contents of the bin of compost into  the green bin. Tidied up my car. Did laundry and put it away. Tucked the inflatable Halloween decorations behind the bench on the front veranda so they wouldn't blow away. Cleaned the house and rejigged our day so we could stay home until the roads would be better. Got ready for now one but two events and started to write up my notes for my presentations to high school kids on Tuesday.

This morning, I literally opened just one eye when I woke up. And couldn't see any snow. Opened both. Nope! Got out of bed and peered out the window. Dry and no sign of snow at all. By mid day, all we received is the small bit of accumulation in the upper two pictures. I know in time we will get a blizzard or two. This was funny as we put so much work in to making sure everything on our Fall list was completed. And now it is. But the lack of snow is almost disappointing. We were even under a "special weather watch" and clearly, this didn't happen. 

We decided to keep our plans to stay home and just chill and after a very busy week, this was the best way to handle our "non-blizzard!" I had a quick shower and put my warm jammies back on. Thick warm socks and a soft sweater. Set myself up in our new reclining chair, with a small table that held my case notes journals, my water, my glasses, the tv remote and the cords for my laptop and my phone. Today, I have written emails, responded to emails, set up several Zoom Links for upcoming meetings. checked in with my staff at both organizations, began the process to write a grant and set up to write two grant final reports. I had a short nap, looked at dollhouse sinks to order (haven't ordered yet!), wrote a blog post earlier and writing this one now, did a load of laundry and made the bed. Not an exciting day but one that clearly I needed after such a busy week. 

Tomorrow I have to teach a grieving kids class in the morning. While I'm doing this, dh is going to try and put the last few strings of Christmas Lights up on the cottage. He's so close but had to end a bit early the other day because the wind was so fierce and he's pretty high up on our big ladder. Fingers crossed the snow and the wind don't show up tomorrow. I feel like saying "nope, we were ready and you didn't show, so go far, far away!" On Sunday, I have another baby loss event (this is an Awareness Month for Baby Loss) and then I'll have a little day off on Monday before I'm back to work on Tuesday. Still at home, but working. It appears with the increase in numbers, we won't be on site for many more months. I'm quite happy to continue at home, though I do like going in for once a week to gather files or chat with who ever is in on the day I do in (we take turns). Wishing Covid will soon go away! In a healthy and safe manner. 

Do you have a busy weekend planned?

~ Chy

2 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

You probably were not too disappointed not to get a dump of snow!!
I had a busy week getting ready for 2 birthdays...my youngest turns 43 tomorrow and my eldest will be 55 on Sunday.

Chy said...

Two birthdays in one week! Have fun celebrating!!

Yes we were happy not to have the snow today. December would be a much more reasonable time for snow ....

X Chy