About Me

May 17, 2020

That was scary ....


.... and I hope during this crazy Pandemic that I none of my family or friends have to go thru this experience like I had the other day. It has been a fear of mine on a daily basis since this all started and it was surreal to find myself in the midst of that fear this week. On to my adventure!

I woke up early this week with a super sore throat and not feeling 100%. From the start, we have followed every protocol and have even gone beyond the basics. I knew that if I did become ill, at least I could feel better knowing I had done absolutely everything I could have to eliminate the risk. All that went out the door that morning. I was mystified as to how I could have gotten sick. We  have had no visitors. We've not had fast food. We've stayed home, except to get groceries and pick up our mail. I spent some time feeling quite terrified and knew that I had to talk with my doctor but really didn't want to go down this path. In the end, legally, I had no choice. So I called her and she asked me to go to the assessment centre that afternoon. An appointment was scheduled and we kept busy all day. My gut told me and my symptoms that this was just strep throat. I've had it enough times to recognize the early signs and knew what was coming my way. But as my doctor said, it could be Covid and we have to know for sure before she can write a prescription. The day seemed to go on for ever. It's all I could think about. I went as far as informing everyone in the house where the key items were and what to do with them, if something drastic was to occur. It actually surprised me to learn how much I am the keeper of the knowledge of what needs to be done and where everything is. That will have to change as one person should have all that info. What if I stepped outside my door and was killed with a falling tree? In the end, this created a new practice of sharing all I hold on to. Prepared we are now.

Finally, it was time to head in to town. With dread and quiet, we drove along to the site. In healthier times, it is our Eco Station. But for now, it has become one of many sites around our Province that have been set up to do the testing for those with symptoms. My appointment was for 4 p.m. and we arrived about 10 minutes before. We were directed by both an RCMP Office (our police force in rural Canada) and an AHS worker (our hospital staff) to drive through a maze to get to the building. We pulled up and waited as it was clear that I was the first in line and that they next round of testing would not start until 4. Within minutes the line up snaked behind us all the way back to the street. Very glad we arrived a bit early. We were instructed to stay in our car the whole time. Finally the door opened and we pulled in. We were greeted by a very gowned up and masked employee was super amazing! She took my info, checked my i.d. and came back a minute later with my kit. I had to open my mouth wide, say "ah" and she took 2 swabs of my throat. Gave me some info on what to do if I tested positive and we were on our way. The whole process took just a few minutes. Grateful for the set up and the cheery crew onsite. 

But now the waiting game. We were told it would take 2 to 5 days to get my results back. And until then, my doctor cannot prescribe anything. So home we went, thankful it was done but now even more scared for the results. Tried ice cream and popsicles and even took a Reactine hoping it would reduce some of the swelling in my throat. I wrestled with how to tell my staff and what would happen if it was positive. I went online for a bit but scared myself even more so got busy doing other things, resting in between when I got tired. It was a very long night but finally we headed off to bed. I'm pretty sure I only slept in bits and pieces. Morning was bright and sunny but my throat and body aches were even worse when I woke up. However, I am so thankful for our kind, amazing and caring family doctor, who called me personally to tell me that I must have some sort of good luck on my side as she had never seen a test result come in so fast (came in during the night) and though it is AHS who calls to tell you your results, she knew I needed meds to get the strep to go away. So end result: I am NEGATIVE for Covid and helped my doctor self diagnosis over the phone my strep throat. We picked up my meds that afternoon and though I still feel unwell and the meds have made me quite sick (new drug and it's powerful!), I am grateful for the health care system in place to ensure that I'm not infected and for my compassionate doctor, who knew waiting for "the call" was going to drive me crazy! The call did finally come yesterday but of course by then I had already been diagnosed and drugged for at least 2 days. Hoping the drugs will kick in and work so I get energy back.

My wish is that this is soon over. I am grateful my experience ended with my results and hope that we can continue to stay healthy and away from this virus. But it made me realize even more how many are dealing with all the fears I had (and still have) running through my mind. I can't imagine what it would feel like to get a positive result. Please stay safe, be well and do all you can so that you don't have to live this mini nightmare I experienced this week. It's worth it to take the time to wear a mask and wash down your groceries, to increase your Vitamin D, and eat and sleep well. As hard as it is to stay away from family and friends, it is what we need to do. I know it's frustrating and we all just want to have our "normal" lives back but for now, we keep safe, keep well and this will have a resolution that is healthy for all. Thinking of you all as you follow the protocols and I promise to get back to commenting on your blogs as I get my strength back. Namaste, my blogging buddies! 

~ Chy

6 comments:

Mereknits said...

Oh Chy, what a scare. So glad it was only strep throat even though that sounds weird to say. I'm not happy you have strep throat but it is way less problematic that Covid, hope you feel better soon.

Granny Marigold said...

In this case it's good to have it be "just" a strep throat. Hope you feel better soon.

Debi said...

How scary! I'm so glad that it turned out to be strep... totally treatable and definitely not so scary. I hope you feel better very soon. Stay safe.

Chy said...

Thank you Meredith for your kind words. I'm hoping the meds kick in soon. Slow progress but I'm getting there!

X Chy

Chy said...

Granny, I've never been so happy to have strep throat in all my life!

X Chy

Chy said...

Thank you Debi. Grateful for strep and not Covid! Hope you are well too.

X Chy