About Me

August 16, 2019

Dreamy Veranda.


Isn't this the dreamiest veranda? We're trying to get ours to have this look. It will take time and energy but we're on it! The first thing we're doing is replacing our front steps. The builder did just what you see in this picture, putting them in between the two columns and then the railing attached to the deck floor down to the bottom step. However, that proved to create quite a "wobbly" railing whenever someone grabbed on to it as they walked up or down. So we're now going to lengthen the width of the steps to match up to the column and then re~attach the railings to the structure. Will not only be more functional but also look better. I never liked the look of the railing sitting several inches out from the column. Happy we've found a more appealing solution. 

Once this initial part is done, we'll then concentrate on our front walk way, which right now is pea gravel and round blocks. Always meant to be temporary, so we need to come up with a better idea as it's low and the water in the Spring from the melt pools there. We're exploring all our options at the moment. We may add some flowy curtains in time.

We do have pretty pots on the steps, sweet wicker furniture and lovely sun that pours through the trees, leaving amazing shadows, creating a sense of calm. That part we don't need to improve on. I change out the wreath on our front door many times over the year, for the next season or celebration. Always fun to provide a new look for our visiting guests. We're almost there in creating our own version of a pretty, dreamy veranda. A reveal will happen. 

Do you have a front veranda?
If you do, is it dreamy like this one?

~ Chy

12 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

That is lovely. I only have a partially covered stoop at my front door. In my next home I hope to have a true front porch. This house is mainly fitted with backyard living with a large screened porch, a deck and 2 patios. It is comfortable but it does tend to isolate you from neighbors.

Granny Marigold said...

I like your plan to widen the steps and anchor the railing more securely. We have a small front stoop which is only half covered. There's a fountain and a bench on it, both chained on because of the ever-present threat of thievery! Mostly we live on our back porch anyway.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I really like how your veranda looks.

I wish I had an elevated front porch with stairs.

TheAwakenedSoul said...

I love my front porch. It's really a special and comforting place to sit. I can watch the alpacas up on the hillside as I drink my morning coffee. I love knitting out there, too. Enjoy yours...it's like having an outdoor room.

Phoebes World said...

I love that front porch...but first I need the little house... preferably in the countryside..with land for vegetables..chickens and goats. When I dream...I dream big xx

Chy said...

Anne, we love our front veranda. Because we are out in the country, and down a little lane from our subdivision road, we can sit outside, open to the world but have lots of privacy because of our trees. We can still see the neighbors a bit here and there but in the Summer, it's pretty hard to see us!

X Chy

Chy said...

Granny, we use our back porch quite a bit too and it steps down to the back deck, so many uses. Thanks for visiting!

X Chy

Chy said...

Nil, thanks for stopping by. This is how our veranda will look once we're done with the new stairs. Almost there. Glad you like the look!

X Chy

Chy said...

Stephenie, it would be amazing to see on our veranda and see alpaca's! But there aren't anywhere in our subdivision! Glad though that you have some to keep you entertained!!

X Chy

Chy said...

Phoebe, I hope your dream comes true one day! This was our dream and now we're here and can't imagine being anywhere else!!

X Chy

Debi said...

We don't have a veranda but we have a large front porch. It has two rocking chairs and a table between them so that we can sit out there and have coffee and read and watch the birds. We have two bird feeders hanging on the front of the porch. I hope you can get your veranda just the way you want it!

Chy said...

Debi, your front porch sounds amazing! Do you get hummingbirds? We have lots here and have a feeder for them ~ fun to watch!

X Chy