About Me

March 7, 2020

Construction.

The community based hospice I've worked at the for
the last 16 years is finally moving in to the next phase
by adding in residential suites. Our old building came
down last Summer and now we're under construction.


On the left is 2 windows on the main floor showing
2 of the 12 hospice suites. And the upper window on
the upper floor is one of my counselling rooms. Not
sure if the board windows are broken or just covered. 


The front of hospice. It will have a large covered
veranda and new landscaping. My feet before I went
over the threshold. As the longest employee, this was
a huge moment for me but I managed to not cry!


On the left, the nursing station on the main floor. And
on the right, a small shot of my huge kids classroom.


On the left, my other classroom for teens. So big! The
parents will meet in the day program room so we are
well equipped for larger numbers. On the right is one
of the suites for those who will move in to die on site. 


One of my counselling rooms on the left. I love the
sloped ceiling. The larger counselling room for families.


I asked for this particular office because it looks out
over the court yard. And faces south. I love to have
sun in my office. But there's a bit of a hitch to my
little dream. The height of all the spaces in the new
space is 9 feet tall. As you can see, the window in my
office is quite high to the ceiling. One of my staff
took a pic but I don't have it here to show how short
I am compared to the window. For perspective, I am
5 feet tall. And my eyes line up with the very bottom
of the window frame. Which means, without a step
stool, I can't see out! You can see by the picture on
the right that the roof line also inhibits any sight line.
I won't be able to actually see the courtyard. I may
have to change my mind as visually seeing outside
is super important to me. Looking up at a window
vs. looking out will make me feel like I'm in a cell!


Two more options. The first on the left has 2 windows.
But it looks out oh the back alley and over the garage
of the church next door. Brighter but the view is not
as nice as other spots. So my other choice would be
this one on the right that has a sweet window and then
a tiny sloped ceiling. I would have my other counsellors
on my team next door instead of across the hallway.
The only downside is that it faces North and truly love
to grow many plants in my office. I'll need to find out
if I can successfully grow lush plants with muted sun.

So here's my question of the day: would you choose
the tall windows, the 2 windows or the sweet window?

I am excited to finally have this new building. But
help me decide! I look forward to your responses ....

~ Chy

2 comments:

Debi said...

I would probably choose the one with two windows. My last classroom had the high windows and I couldn't see out and I had to stand on a stool to open and close them (and I'm just a hair under six feet tall!) I like fresh air and sun more than a view.

Chy said...

Thank you Debi! I would love the corner office with the 2 windows but not sure it will be available. We'll see as we get closer.

X Chy