About Me

November 2, 2014

Cocooning!!

Hi everyone!

This time of year always makes me want to fill our home with comforting food and bring out the warm quilts from the upper cupboards. Changing out my "seasons" shelf and tucking into a good long book signals that our outside time, our long summer days are coming to an end. Short sunlit hours and cool winter nights are just around the corner. We put away the summer tools, dig out the bigger snow shovels and try on our boots for size. Lists begin to show up on the counter, listing all the things we hope to accomplish over the next six months. And lists of things to buy before the snow starts to accumulate, trapping us indoors for days at a time. Lots of planning goes into fall to make it our time to "cocoon" away from our busy life and the cold of winter.


But this year, there is more to think about in our house. Not just with the planning of this new home. Change is beginning to creep its way into our settled life. My job is amazing but lately, with the deaths of soldiers in our country and abroad, grief work has become heavy. I'm tired and my health has definitely taken a hit from last year's bout with whooping cough. I've been lucky to avoid any flues and colds that are prevalent now but the energy that I used to possess has not returned. A very frustrating time for someone who is used to running all day. An option for a break, with full salary, was presented to me and after a lot of soul searching, I've decided to take it. I'm not quite excited about it just yet but the timing is right. Once our Christmas break is over (our employer always gives us a block of time until after New Year's), my "sabbatical" will begin, lasting almost two months. I'll use this time to unpack the new house, break out my art supplies and work on the book I started writing last year. It's also a time to reflect on my career and a time to work on getting my strength and health back. I'm hopeful by the time my break is done that I'll have a new plan in place. For now, I'm getting ready for this time of "cocooning" away, to sleep and renew myself. 

Have you ever had a chance to take 
a break or a sabbatical from your career?

4 comments:

Penny said...

That is a big step Chy, but also a precious gift of time. I am sure you will use it productively and creatively xx

Chy said...

I'm starting to get used to the idea, Penny!

Betty said...

With all that you have on your plate it seems this is coming at a good time. You don't want your health to get worse with so many things to do. Take the time to just enjoy the little things in life between the big things that are happening.

Chy said...

It is a lot right now for sure Betty. And I never want to miss out on the moments because the big stuff gets in the way. :)