About Me

June 18, 2020

The Love of Reading.


Reading has been a love of mine since I was a young child, even before I could read! One of my aunties worked as a book publisher for a large firm here in Canada and every Christmas, we get books. My cousins who were older and younger would sometimes complain .... "Books? But we wanted toys!!" But me, I was in Heaven! I feel like some people read a book and I devour a book. I'm thankful to have married a man who also loves to read and collect books. Not what attracted me to him, in fact, it was something we discovered when we bought our first home and we're moving in. He had boxes and boxes and when I asked what was inside, his words "my books" intrigued me. And here I thought I knew everything about him! In time, we have filled bookshelves, and corners, and we both often have a little stack beside the bed. I love to read in a warm, soapy tub, or curled up in bed on a rainy night. A favorite memory has always been introducing reading to our babies, whom we read to in utero. When they each learned to read themselves, that was a big moment in our tiny house. Each Christmas, as the reader became stronger, they were gifted the right to read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" and everyone would cheer the new reader on. Now our grand kids read and it makes our hearts sing. There is nothing more precious in the World then curling up in a comfy chair, with a small child, who asks you to read them a story. Especially in front of a warm and cozy fire. I love that this tradition is carrying thru with our kids. Books are often an extra gift under the tree or in a birthday basket. I'm thrilled that instead of hearing the words "Books? But we wanted toys!" we hear "Yes, more books!" When they were small, and even now, as adults, a favorite spot to visit if we were out and about shopping would be our local book store. We'd ask "Where should we go today" and always we would get "Can we stop at the bookstore?" I can't imagine the investment we've made in books over the years. Some are bought at full price (not many!), some are thrifted, some are gifts but all are cherished. The love of reading is strong here.

Do you love to read?
Are you a book collector?

~ Chy

1 comment:

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I love reading. Even when I was little I wanted books as birthday gifts.
I think every home should have books. 😊