About Me

April 22, 2019

Stalking ....

Dh and I met when we cast together in a local production at the big theatre in the Big City next to where we live. It was the early 80's and we were just 18 years old, with our whole lives ahead. We were brought together by a director who knew me but had never met my dh until he had his audition and was offered the role opposite me. And the tale began.


The production was to run for the entire Summer that year ~ 8 weeks. The first part of the run was to be at the theatre and the last bit would be in a northern community about 4.5 hours from here. But our director skipped town with the proceeds from the first few weeks and the production was shut down. A first in our local theatre community. It was devastating for us but also the beginning of our long relationship. Unfortunately, it did give us some trust issues for a while in the community but actors are tight and we soon moved through it. Bad experience turned good. Grateful all the time. It taught us valuable lessons at a very young age that we've fallen back on many times.


When we were in the Big City a week or so ago, dh asked me if I had ever driven past the director's old apartment. We had spent time there writing the production, dh had his audition there and we had at least one rehearsal or read through there. I hadn't driven by as I am rarely downtown and hadn't remembered which street it was on. But he remembered and we drove by that day. It looks the same, though in a bit better condition then we both recall. It was, at the time, getting quite run down. Looks good now. It was a very boho kind of setting, with lots of actors and writers. As we drove by, I wondered who lived here now. We know the director didn't stay here ~ he moved out to the coast. I've often thought about sending him a note to thank him for getting us together. I've always wanted to let him know that despite the experience, we survived it and thrived and here we are, all these years later, with our kids and our cottage and our memories. And they're all good. I think he'd be happy to know that something amazing did come out of something that was supposed to be great and turned sour. 

If you have a partner, how did you meet?
Is there a story behind your beginning?

~ Chy

4 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I use to act in community theater in Florida many years ago! I met my husband through a blind date. This June we will celebrate our 40th anniversary.

Chy said...

Penny, that is a wonderful history! Wishing you a beautiful 40th Anniversary in June!!

X Chy

Granny Marigold said...

I like the story of how you two got together.
My DH was a good friend of one of my brothers so he was often at our house. That's how we knew each other.

Chy said...

That's a wonderful beginning Granny! Thanks for sharing.

X Chy