July 31, 2017
My Hygge Review.
I recently finished reading "The Little Book of Hygge" and quite enjoyed exploring this new concept of living a full and intentional life. What I found interesting was how much of our own current lifestyle here in Canada is very Hygge. I would highly recommend The Book of Hygge for anyone wishing to create a homey, comfortable life with intention and peace. A great read and great resource. Here is the Hygge Manifesto, as written by author Meik Wiking, with my comments in green:
1. Atmosphere ~ Turn down the lights. We truly do not like bright lights. We use small lamps and soft lighting.
2. Presence ~ Be here now. Turn off the phones. Living in the moment is a promise we've made to each other and our family. We love to reminisce our past experiences and make plans for the future but we need to enjoy and be truly present to what we have now. No rushing tomorrow. And phones drive me crazy. We have ours on when we're on call for work or projects. But it's so freeing when we have them turned off too. I love the silence.
3. Pleasure ~ Coffee, chocolate, cookies, cakes, candy. No to coffee (we've never been fans), yes to chocolate (milk for me, dark for him), cookies (soft homemade chocolate chip are our favorites), cakes (chocolate or Angel food) and candy (anything sweet AND sour).
4. Equality ~ "We" over "me". Share the tasks and the airtime. We've always been a good team in sharing the tasks. I feel very lucky to have a guy who helps.
5. Gratitude ~ Take it in. This might be as good as it gets. On a daily basis, there is so much to be thankful for. A safe, clean environment to live in, good careers, family, friends and so many opportunities to have fun and create memories in our community.
6. Harmony ~ It's not a competition. We already like you. There is no need to brag about your achievements. Exactly! Being humble is so much more chic.
7. Comfort ~ Get comfy. Take a break. It's all about relaxation. Our life and our home has truly been designed and crafted around comfort. Even buying clothes. We search out clothing and bedding, towels and footwear that provide comfort and make us feel good.
8. Truce ~ No drama. Let's discuss politics another day. Not part of our life as it does nothing but bring stress and unnecessary discussions that can get out of hand.
9. Togetherness ~ Build relationships and narratives. "Do you remember the time we ....?" We love being together and sharing stories ~ the "story of our life."
10. Shelter ~ This is your tribe. This is a place of peace and security. Truly our cottage and our life have become our security from the storm outside our door ....