About Me

April 5, 2020

Reading Tower.


While we are tucked away in our little cottage, safe and snug from the raging Pandemic outside, we've taken time to create lists of tasks we can tackle with the extra time we have on our hands. It's a long list, with things we'd like to finish up inside and a separate list for outside, once the snow finally goes away. Our days are filled with work and helping out dd with homeschooling our dgs but without the commute and shopping that happen so often when life is normal, there is definitely extra time to fill. We try to do something each day that is fun as well. Something to look forward to. Yesterday I pulled out all the books I want to read while we're home. Two are library books. Two I just ordered as the lockdown was about to take place. The rest are books that were given as gifts or I had found online, at the charity shop or donated by a friend. A total of 10 in my little "reading tower" that will dwindle over the next few weeks as I tackle each one and then find a spot for it in one of our many bookcases scattered around the cottage. 


So what's on my reading tower list? From the top down, I have "Four Meals for Fourpence" by Grace Foakes. A heartwarming tale of family life in London's East End. Under that is "The View from the Corner Shop" by Kathleen Hey. It's subtitle says The Diary of a Yorkshire Shop Assistant in Wartime. Both were ordered and arrived a few weeks ago, just as we were preparing to settle in. Once I'm done my current book on the tower, I'll dive in to these first. 

Moving down the tower, the rest of the books are as follows:

* Village School ~ the first novel in the beloved Fairacre Series. I'm almost done this book and it's been great so far. I'll have to order the next in the series for sure. 
* Dollhouses. This one showcases dollhouses in a museum. I'll have to add the description later. 
* Beautifully Organized. I'm pretty organized but always love a quick read to keep up with new ideas. This is one of two library books that I know have indefinitely as our library is closed and all due dates dismissed until they reopen. 
* Becoming by Michelle Obama. I've wanted to read this for a while and was excited it was finally available at the library. Lots of time to read it now!
* The Dream Daughter by Diane Chamberlain. A book given to me by someone who ordered it and then never had time to read it. I'll dive in to it once the others are devoured.
* At Home with Beatrix Potter. Such a fan, I am. Our first daughter's nursery, her blankets, her stuffies, her clothes and her baby calendar were all Beatrix Potter themed. Her first set of books were the complete collection, all in a pretty box. Lovely memories and I'm looking forward to this read.
* Where Woman Create is a collection from the popular magazine that on occasion I add to our grocery cart. Having a very full art studio, this gives me inspiration to continue to find new ways to keep everything organized. I love to see what other women are busy creating as well. One day, when my work is done, I can see long days in our little studio!
* The Big Book of a Miniature House. Takes the reader on a journey to creating an incredible dollhouse, filled with inspiration for those of us who are still learning. I've browsed through it but now I have time to actually read every page and take notes for creating my dollhouses. 

That's my "reading tower" and as much as I want this Pandemic to end immediately, I'm happy to use some of our time here at home in the cottage to tackle each of these books. A great distraction from what could be as we make our way through each and every day, hour by hour. 

Do you have a reading list or "tower" to tackle?
Is reading a great past time for you to fill the days?

~ Chy

2 comments:

Debi said...

I haven't made any lists but I need to because I find myself spending too much time on the computer and watching the news. Thank you for sharing your book tower, there are a few in there that I will add to my "to be read" list. Stay safe and well!

Chy said...

It's so easy to get lost on the internet and tv. A good distraction at times but it's finding a balance so it's not so overwhelming. I'm done one of my books and on to the next one! Hope you get a chance to read too. Stay safe! Be well!!

X Chy