About Me

November 4, 2019

Winter is Coming.


We didn't get any snow today but this was the bit we did have on the weekend. Then it melted away. I wish Winter and snow could just be in December. You would think that after living in a northern climate most of my life, I'd be used to the shorter days, the dimmer light and the white landscape. But spending time on the Coast where it's still green reminds me that the entire World is not covered in snow for months at a time! One day, we'll trek away when the snow comes. For now, we grin and bear it and Hygge down in our cozy little cottage in the big woods. I love cozy!


I'm watching "Grand Designs" a British Reno show and I've noticed a trend to white colors, hard concrete (floors and counters), glass everywhere and mismatched stone. I can't imagine on a cold Winter's night or a rainy afternoon how anyone feels warm and cozy with such stark surroundings. I prefer warm wood, lacy windows, soft colors, and glowing lights. More welcoming but please know, this is just what I like, living in a cooler region for the long Winter months. 

Part of our Fall is getting ready for Winter. Today, I worked for the last time in our veggie patch, turning over the dirt one more time and adding some peat to our shrubs. Garden tools are now tucked away in the potting shed, along with our seating, flowers pots are stacked up (except for a few on our back deck I do like to keep out over the Winter), and the garage is almost all set up. I did more today and then swept out the bays. On Friday, my Winter tires will go on and then the organizing in the garage will be all done once my other tires are put back in to their spot for the season. 

I wrote two grants last week and did a ton of other paperwork and program planning. I have a board meeting this month, an HR meeting (today), a new program to deliver over the next six Tuesdays, and a kids program to celebrate their last day this coming Saturday. A few projects to finish up in the house (wallpapering the half bath and re-organizing the Art Studio) and then we can just concentrate on the holidays. Take some time to rest, play, laugh, create and be with friends and family. My favorite time of year and the only time I truly love the snow! Do you like snow?

~ Chy

2 comments:

Debi said...

I'm with you... I love cozy. Curtains, soft lighting, blankets and pillows. Stark is not something that appeals to me.

Chy said...

Cozy wins every time Debi! I get the idea of "clean lines" but I truly need "soft and welcoming" in our home!

X Chy