About Me

October 30, 2017

Gramma's Stew.

My gramma raised 6 children through
the war and has always been my hero.


While my grampa was away fighting
for freedom, she was stretching small
dollars to feed a big family. She had
to develop recipes using very little.


Gramma created this sausage stew using
veggies from their garden and cheap
sausages from the butcher. Our budget
is not as frugal but we are so careful of
what we have and what we spend, so
many of our recipes are based on this.
Not my favorite dinner but on a cold,
rainy and windy night, it was a comfort
to cook up gramma's old receipe for us.
I think she would be proud we did.

2 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

When you live through a war, you become very resourceful and waste absolutely nothing.
My grandma still had her ration books, the people seemed to live on air...
Sausage stew, what could be finer :)
Yummy.
Hugs,
~Jo

Granny Marigold said...

Those Grandmas had a difficult life especially those with large families to feed. I wish I'd have asked my Gran what kind of food she made but it's too late. So many things I didn't think to ask her and I could kick myself for being thoughtless.