About Me

December 19, 2020

Catching Up ....


I've gotten behind in my "Capturing"
blog posts. We had a little scare with
my mama and it meant taking time
away from other ventures. Mom above.


My fierce mama is progressing in her dementia. I hate this journey but love that she's still healthy, full of laughs and living her best life in her retirement village. Last week, they had 8 staff members who all tested positive for Covid. Not one of them had been at work since the 6th and all had very minor cold symptoms. The centre is already in lockdown, as most are, so nothing changed from our end. But what was scary was my mama was one who had direct contact with her caregiver, who was now ill. So scary, I couldn't sleep, didn't know if she was going to contract it but at the end of this week, we got the very good news that she is well, the 8 have all recovered and all residents continue to be negative in their testing. I've never been so relieved in my life. This centre has done an amazing job and to date, not a single resident has become ill with Covid. Fingers crossed this trend continues. That was way too stressful! They've been swabbing quite frequently and that seems to be a key for early detection. We can't have her home for Christmas due to restrictions in our region but we are so happy she's well and know she'll have an amazing day with all her buddies and the staff. We'll Skype in and enjoy a visit, 2020 style! Now I've got to get back to catching up!

Hope you've had an amazing week!

~ Chy

4 comments:

Betsy said...

What a relief for you. We haven't been able to visit local retirement home or nursing homes since March. The vaccine can't become available soon enough for me.
Blessings,
Betsy

Mereknits said...

Such a scary time, you must have been beside yourself. Your Mom is so lovely, dementia is so hard. I know my mom had it for years it was so tough to see her like that. Bless you and stay safe.

Chy said...

Thank you Betsy. It was the best news for sure! Such a worry but now I'm so grateful for the quick actions of the staff and the system in general to keep our loved ones safe and healthy. I hope we can visit soon but the video links we can chat with her help a lot!

Hope you are well and enjoying your Sunday!

X Chy

Chy said...

It was a huge worry Meredith but all is well and we're so grateful. I hate Dementia. It robs so much from the individual. My beautiful, smart, sassy mama is still in there but it's getting harder for our her little light to shine. I'm sorry you've walked this journey too. I wish there was a cure ....

X Chy