About Me

August 1, 2018

Hello August.


Wow! Summer is half over already. We have begun to spot yellow leaves on some of our trees here in the big woods. I keep yelling to the forest "not yet, not yet!!" But there they are, dancing in the breeze and more pop up each day. I LOVE Fall but need more time to finish up our gardening, our landscaping and taking a bit of a break before life slows down.

August is a crazy month. We celebrate our wedding anniversary, we honor our daughter who died at birth, we attend some of the many festivals that make the big city next to us "Festival City" for Canada, we participate in the upcoming Fringe Festival ~ the second largest in the World, next to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (the original) ~ we write grants this month for September 1st and we get ready for another new school year for our little preschool. Lots of great activities. 

I wish the predicted rain would hurry up and get here. Each day, since Thursday, we've had forecasts and warnings about torrential rains and thunder storms. We prepare, we brace, we watch the hourly predictions .... but nothing! Last night, it was supposed to pour from 3 a.m. until 8ish. With thunder. And intense lightening. But it didn't happen. I'm fine without the storm part but some good solid rain for a day would be good. We were doing well with a mix of warm, sunny days and then just enough rain to keep everything green and fresh. It was nice to not have to cart water down to our little veggie patch. But now we need rain again and it's not showing up! Ugh.

Last night, after everything was done that I could get done, I cracked open a new book I had ordered online from a sale. It arrived on Monday morning in the mail but I've had 2 very busy days and hadn't had time to even look at the back cover. Dh wanted to watch a show that I wasn't interested in, so I left him to enjoy that and I cozied up on our couch in the living room, with the sun coming through the lace curtains at just the right angle, providing enough light for the first while. Soon I had to turn on a lamp as dusk set in. I read 4 chapters of the book and look forward to having time tonight to read more. Great story. It's called "The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home" by George Howe Colt. So far, I'm intrigued. It would make a great movie!


What are you reading this August?
Do you have any recommendations?

2 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

The Big House looks like a good read. I just finished Below Stairs by Margaret Powell. It ( like so many of my books) came from the thrift store.)It was an easy book to zip through.Before that I read The Giver by Lois Lowry. Considered Junior fiction but I found it quite interesting although I must admit the very end left me puzzled.

Happy month of August to you and your family.

Chy said...

Happy August to you and yours Granny! I'll have to look for Below Stairs. Sounds interesting. I love picking up books at the thrift store as well. We could hope a library with all our books!!

Have a wonderful day!

X Chy