About Me

February 26, 2022

Past Memories.


Happy Saturday!

This photo caught my eye and I kept going back to it. I'm still in the process of figuring out why it won't leave my mind. Part of it is the shredded cheese on the asparagus. Yum! And the lemon slice in the upper left corner. I think though it's the plate, with the pottery feel to it. There is something very 70's about this shot. Something earthy and homey. I recall dishes like these at our neighbors down the road in the mid 70's when I babysat the kids almost every weekend at their house. Our home, with a bit of English style on the outside, was very modern on the inside. The neighbors house down the street was modern on the outside but full of antiques and really cool items on the inside. So eclectic. And I loved exploring their house once the kids were asleep. The owner had a health food store, the first of it's kind in our area at the time, so they also had the most interesting things in their cupboards and their fridge. These images would bring me back to my own childhood in growing up with then hippy parents in all our tiny little houses. When I'm tired or feeling anxious or trying to fall asleep at night, I often go back and replay memories in my mind. Somehow, this is one of many techniques that will ground me. Whatever works, I will do!

This post has me now thinking. Hmmm. I have vivid, ongoing memories of a life before mine. Or that's what I have always called it. These started when I was very young, barely walking and talking I'm told. I would share, with my limited language, stories of people and places that didn't exist. And tell my mom often that I wanted to "go back to the other place." She didn't know what to do with this but thankfully, she never shut me down. I'm not trying to write these down as they come back to me, with the details and hope I can somehow make sense of what these memories are all about. The really interesting part is the details never change. My mom did share with me several years ago that she became intrigued because there was no way I could have known the things I did. Like naming a street that I wanted my parents to go down without having ever been down that street and certainly not ever having said that name out loud. She would ask me questions and sometimes I could share more with her. But other times, I couldn't and the one that stood out is I wasn't able to share my name. The name I was born with has never sat well with me for many reasons but sometimes I wonder if that is the key as well. For now, I'm going to record what I have in my head and then see if there is some way of making sense of it all. 

Not sure if you'll ever really want to read these memories, this memory filled "past life" but you can always skip over those posts. I just feel the need to finally take them out of my head and put them down somewhere I can look back on them. Or maybe I'll record them elsewhere, in case someone is put off by this path, this journey I'm on, and chooses to step away. Yup, decision made. For now, they'll be private. I'm off to sit in the warm sun and dream about Spring!

                                      ~ Chy

No comments: