About Me

November 8, 2015

The Christmas Room.

I love all our seasons but Christmas is my favorite, next to Fall. You'll notice I referred to Christmas as a season, because in our house, it is a long experience, not just a day. We begin decorating right after Halloween and often leave everything up until early to mid February, sometimes later if winter is particularly harsh. It seems to make our winters not so dark to have twinkly lights, ribbons and garland and candles every where. I know most won't agree with our approach, but in our little house in the big woods, it's what we do and what keeps us smiling when the wind outside howls and the snow falls down, covering our Earth in white flakes and frosty pebbles. 

In our old house, we kept bins and boxes of Christmas decorations in our furnace room that doubled as a storage room. It was packed! Before we moved, we purged boxes and donated items that no longer fit with our current decor. Our new house, as roomy as it is, lacked a large storage space. We gained more closet space, an art studio, a storage room in the garage and a desk under the main stairs, but couldn't fit in a large storage room without giving up one of the above assets. However, our builder did manage to carve out a small space in the lower level, between the furnace room and the theatre room. It became affectionately known as "The Christmas Room" and I finally had a chance this week to sort it out. Until now, our decorations have been stored in bins in the garage but now that winter is moving in, it was time to move them out. The room itself had been used by our builder in the last few weeks before we moved in as a place to store the leftover flooring, some paint cans and some boxes we moved in. Not pretty at all! Here's the before:


An eclectic mess!!


Flooring, paint, boxes and our light.

Next post: the "reveal" of The Christmas Room.

8 comments:

Cheapchick said...

I don't have a christmas room but have at least 8 large rubbermaid totes full of Christmas stuff. The only thing that gets added to it each year is a bit of Vintage as I collect it. Last year hubby gave me the gift of some unsilvered WWII glass tree balls that I found on ETSY (no surprise there but boy was it a great gift). I decorate early too, but usually the last week of November (except the door wreath which goes up on the 12th in deference to Remembrance day as people get funny in this Military town if you decorate too soon). I take it down on Jan 1 though. I love the lights, I think that and the glass balls are my favorite bits. Can't wait to see the Christmas room!

Anne in the kitchen said...

I also don't have a Christmas room but have sworn if I ever build a house I am going to have a large closet off the foyer for everything Christmas, including enough room for the trees to be on a rolling base where they can stay fully decorated year round. I would love to roll them out and plug them in.

Penny said...

A Christmas room! How adorable. Lucky you. Our decorations live in the loft. I would love a little room dedicated to the festive season X

Lorrie said...

A Christmas room sounds like a festive place! I try to keep my Christmas decor to a minimum as I don't want to store tons and tons of stuff. I have two Rubbermaid trunks and one box. I like decorating towards the end of November and I'll leave the twinkle lights up throughout January and February. Those are the months when light is most welcome.

Chy said...

I love decorating early too, Cheapchick. Makes winter a bit brighter! We usually add a vintage decoration to our tree each year. And then give away some that we no longer wish to keep. Makes storage a bit easier!

Chy said...

I love your idea Anne! We have enough space in the room we might be able to just wrap our tree and store it in already decorated. Hmmmm! Might have to consider this.

Chy said...

Hi Penny! Here in Canada, we have attics but they are full of insulation to keep the cold out, so not a place for storage for us. Hence, the need for space inside the house. X

Chy said...

This year, we're moving our items into Rubbermaid tubs. Before, we had them in boxes but with our move, we splurged a bit after the big purge and bought tubs. Now as we decorate, we're taking the boxes to recycling and the tubs will come upstairs later when we un-decorate. All neat and tidy!