About Me

May 12, 2019

Bittersweet Mother's Day.


Today in Canada, mothers across this vast country are celebrated, honored and smothered with extra love! It's a sweet day for most. But for some, Mother's Day brings heartache, difficult memories and even loneliness. Some mama's don't even have their children with them on this special day. They may live far away, are incarcerated, a relationship is fractured, or have died. Bittersweet.

My husband and I were privileged to achieve 12 pregnancies but unfortunately, we were only able to physically raise 4 bright and healthy children. Our babies were lost to stillbirth (2) and miscarriage (6). Every day, we think of them and miss them to pieces. We are so very grateful and blessed to have the 4 we have who call me mama. Bittersweet.

I fall in the category of having a mom who doesn't know who I am most days. Other days, she remembers when we visit. She knows I'm her daughter. But my name is lost to her. I'm glad she's still here with us but truly wish she could remember who we are when we see her. Bittersweet.

My mother-in-law resides in Heaven. A sweet thought, though we are not really sure Heaven exists. We hold her in our hearts and remember her contagious laughter. She loved being a gramma. She would have loved being a great gramma. I hope she knows we miss her. Bittersweet.

However you navigate Mother's Day, if it is a
Bittersweet day, know you are in my heart ....

~ Chy

6 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Happy Mothers Day, Chy. I'm sorry your Mom doesn't always know who you are but you have memories of her as she was and that's what you need to cling to.

Gill - That British Woman said...

Happy Mother's Day, and you're right it's not a happy day for some people........

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I'm saddened to learn you have lost so many babies, I'm sure they are with you constantly, and your heart is full.
Yes, hold onto those memories with your mum.
Hugs,
~Jo

Chy said...

Thank you for your kind thoughts Granny. We had a really good visit yesterday and she does recognize who we are, just not our names. That's hard. But I'm grateful we still have her and despite the dementia, she's very healthy and full of laughter! X Chy

Chy said...

Gill, it can be a hard day. I'm lucky to have family and friends that embrace us and it does make it easier for sure. Thanks for visiting! X Chy

Chy said...

Jo, thank you for your thoughtful words. We miss our little ones every day but these experiences have also enhanced our lives in so many ways. I'm grateful for the short time we did have with each of them. X Chy