About Me

January 3, 2018

JPC #2: Goals.

The second day of the January Photo Challenge would have been yesterday but it's the holidays, so yeah, I'm a day behind! I'm not on a schedule right now. Next week. But here is my post, a bit late but in my books, on time. 


I tend to not do "resolutions" but I do like to set goals. When I was a kid and becoming more aware of the world around me, I do recall the stress that seemed to go in to ringing out the New Year and creating some lofty promises as the New Year arrived. My mom would make big plans and not always achieve them, which would make her add them to next years list. And then the following year. And on and on and on. I remember thinking at the tender age of 10 years old that maybe that wasn't very productive or inspiring. So from a young age, I've not chimed in on New Year's Resolutions. Instead I choose goals and it was one of the reasons I've gotten excited about this particular photo challenge I've joined.

My goals for 2018? I've kept them simple and achievable. That doesn't mean I'll be totally successful. But I'll be giving each of these a great try through the year:

* learning to let go of any negativity that comes my way but doesn't truly need any of my attention.

* work on my blog and my unpublished book ~ no deadlines, no number of words or chapters. Just "work on".

* work on my art in the studio ~ again no deadlines or commitments. Just a simple "work on" so it's fun.

* cultivate a new friendship and create our new community tribe. To be honest, we've both been so busy building our life, our relationship, our home, our community projects and our careers that we've not been so great on our social life. Now is our chance to re~define what that looks like for 2018. I'm so excited about this one.

There it is, in writing and without any promises, just simple ideas that I can work on and re~evaluate in time to see if what I hoped for did work out. Much less stressful and that is the biggest thing for 2018. Live what I teach and preach. I'm truly done with 2017 and so looking forward to see what 2018 will bring our way, knowing that there will be moments of anxiety and dismay. That is what life is, isn't it? Good times, difficulties, great experiences, relationship woes, prosperity, money concerns, achievements, set backs. How we deal with each of these is the accomplishments we should concentrate on ~ the grace to fall, the ability to weep, the energy to change, the willingness to ask for help. Life is one big learning curve ..... embrace it and give it your all. Namaste.

Do you have resolutions or goals to share?
How do you welcome the New Year?

2 comments:

Ryoma Sakamoto.Japan said...

ARIGATOU(Thank you so much!!)
I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday and a prosperous new year!
On Japanese New Year ‘s customs;
Adults put money in a special envelope and give it to children.
This is called “otoshidama” and many children look forward to it very much!
Ryoma.

Chy said...

That's a great New Year's custom. Thanks for sharing. And Happy New Year! Chy